How to Create a French Countryside Kitchen
The French country kitchen design is inspired by Provence, the southeastern part of France that borders Italy and the Mediterranean Sea. The region is famous for its massive mountain ranges, luscious lavender fields and rich, diverse culture. Instead of traveling to France, you can feel like you're walking through the rural region of Provence with French kitchen decor, soft colors and complementary appliances.
Let your imagination run free as you explore how to renovate your luxury kitchen to reflect the simple, elegant nature of the French countryside. Discover the picture-perfect marriage of modern and vintage as you choose a color palette, design outstanding kitchen cabinets, install functional appliances and add subtle accessories.
What Is a French Country Kitchen?
When you think of the French countryside, what comes to mind? Bright sunshine, lavender fields and cobblestone streets with happy people ready to greet you. A French country kitchen is rustic, warm and inviting. French country kitchen decor includes:
- Simple design: While designers tend to think of French country as ornate or elaborate, a French country kitchen features polished elegance. Take a break from your rushed, stressful day and embrace the simple life. French country decor teaches us a refined, modest way to live.
- Natural rural beauty: Whether you're in bustling New York City or sunny Orlando, when you arrive home to your luxury kitchen, you will feel like you are walking through the lavender fields of Provence. French country design features natural materials like wood and recycled metal as a reminder of life in the French countryside.
- Artistic yet relaxed design: French countryside kitchen design is the ideal blend of relaxed, distressed and subdued. To fashion a French cottage kitchen, employ a warm color palette and curved lines to your cabinets and walls. With its graceful lines and intricate woodwork, the French countryside aesthetic is beautifully decorated and feels both homey and elegant.
- The perfect blend of vintage and modern design: When crafting your luxury French country kitchen, use a combination of modern and vintage decoration. A French country kitchen is both nostalgic and functional.
How to Make Your Kitchen Feel Like It's in the French Countryside
What is a French kitchen? A French kitchen is inspired by the soothing calm of Provence. Your French country-style kitchen should include French country colors, contrasting cabinets and cutting-edge appliances.
The following sections provide French chic kitchen ideas to help you imagine your French country kitchen. Use these ideas to spark your creativity and craft your ideal luxury kitchen. A luxury kitchen designer will help make your interior design dreams come true.
What Colors Are Considered French Country?
The colors you use for your French country kitchen will invoke different emotions in you and your guests. Consider the following color types and find out how you can make use of them to create your luxury kitchen.
- Neutral colors: If you have a small French country kitchen, paint your walls a neutral color like white or cream to make the room look bigger. A white French kitchen design creates a regal, historic atmosphere in your cooking space.
- Soft, pale colors: Soft colors create a sense of warmth and comfort for your kitchen. The French country design emphasizes soft earthy colors and tones — such as lavender, sky blue or olive green — to resemble the natural Mediterranean beauty of Provence. Create a blue French country kitchen with blue cabinets, shades and furniture. Remember to add only a splash of color to your luxury kitchen to complement the elegant style of your French country kitchen.
- Contrasting with dark colors: You can also try contrasting light and dark tones throughout your kitchen. While the colors should still be earthy and light, use dark colors to highlight a lighter-toned furniture piece. For example, dark cabinets or curtains pop against white walls. Rusted dark metal is a great way to contrast the brightness of a French country kitchen.
- Warm, subtle colors: For a welcoming, relaxed environment for your guests, use a warm color palette. Warm colors remind us of the burning embers of a fireplace. Make your guests feel cozy by adorning your kitchen with rusty reds, burnt oranges and pale yellows.
- Historic accent colors: Your accent color should pay homage to the beautiful country of France. Rusted metal or a white French country kitchen design salutes the historic French empire.
French Kitchen Cabinets Design
As you design your French kitchen cabinets, remember that simplicity is the most important part of French design. Customize your cabinets' material, color, design and accessories to complement your desired French country kitchen.
- Material: The ideal material for French country cabinets is natural wood. Natural materials embody French design, so your cabinets should be made of reclaimed or hand-crafted wood. Stainless-steel cabinets can also add a modern flair to your traditional French country kitchen decor.
- Color: French country cabinets should match the kitchen counter. If you want French country white cabinets, your counter and other kitchen furniture should also be white. You can employ contrasting colors to make your cabinets stand out against your neutral-colored walls. Wooden cabinets can be stained or painted to make natural wood material a dark color. Placing textured wood on your cabinet doors can also add contrast to your design.
- Design: French cabinet design includes crafting your cabinets to look like furniture, such as an armoire or a bureau. Wooden cabinets allow you to carve natural designs on your cabinet doors. French country kitchen decor includes curved, defined lines, so adding floral patterns or vines to your cabinets would be a nice fit for the aesthetic. Carve designs that reflect the earthy theme of your French kitchen. You can also design your cabinets with beadboard lining. If you use them on vertical surfaces, they will create a relaxing focal point for your luxury French kitchen. Beadboard lining is easy to clean and complements the natural design of wooden cabinets.
- Accessories: Select hardware or molding to complement your French country cabinet design. The lifts and handles from L'Atelier Paris are made from solid brass, which will provide your cabinets with a historic yet rustic appearance. Handles and knobs in different shapes, sizes and materials will add the finishing touches to your French country cabinets. Crown molding would also give your cabinets the curved lines and furniture-like appearance that enhances the traditional element of French country decor.
French Country Kitchen Appliances
After creating the traditional design of your French country kitchen, think about what appliances you need to make your kitchen relaxing yet functional. While the design of your kitchen is essential, French appliances give your kitchen a purpose beyond impressing your guests and providing a visually-pleasing environment. Install appliances in your kitchen that will allow you to create your famous cuisines for you and your family to enjoy.
Stainless-steel appliances will provide your kitchen with the perfect blend of vintage and modern. At L'Atelier Paris, we offer the following appliances:
- Ovens: We offer a vast selection of built-in wall ovens in various functions and sizes. You can choose convection, combination, microwave or even a professional wall oven to craft delicious cuisine all year long. We also offer built-in wall coffee machines for creating the perfect morning blend to wake you up and energize you for the day ahead. Our coffee machines can be customized to fully plumbed-in and water-reservoir configurations. Complete with different functions and settings, your unique coffee machine will provide you with luxury artisan coffee in your own home.
- Refrigerators: Our line of refrigerators and wine preservation units are available in a variety of sizes for your French country kitchen. We offer full column refrigerators and freezers, combination refrigerators and freezers and wine preservation units. Our refrigerators can also be integrated with wine storage units or cabinetry.
Since our appliances are all hand-crafted by our French artisans, the design, shape, size, accessories and material of our appliances can be customized. Appliances can be vintage or modern and can include sophisticated oven hoods or crown molding. The appliances you select can blend in with your French country style decor with the right adaptations and creative flair.
Is French Farmhouse the Same as French Countryside?
The French countryside kitchen decor is different from the French farmhouse kitchen style — the themes of these two designs contrast. While a relaxed, casual style defines a farmhouse kitchen, the French countryside design evokes refined elegance with simplicity.
Other design elements that differ between the French countryside and French farmhouse kitchen decor include:
- Soft vs. clean: French countryside design includes soft color palettes and patterns with curved lines. Farmhouse design, on the other hand, focuses on a clean look with defined lines.
- Elegance vs. practicality: The French countryside aesthetic is simple because busy decorations distract from the natural beauty of rural Provence. The farmhouse aesthetic is simple because farmhouses were originally designed to be practical.
- Rural countryside vs. rural barns: Each of these kitchen designs were inspired by different landscapes. French country kitchen decor involves paying homage to Provence, the rural southeastern region of France. French farmhouse kitchen decor highlights the simple aesthetic of a rustic farmhouse.
We will admit that these two types of interior design are similar in the following ways:
- Simplicity: With both of these aesthetics, simplicity is key. Too many farmhouse motifs will make a farmhouse kitchen look old-fashioned, while too many French country motifs will distract from the natural elegance of the room.
- Use of natural materials: The farmhouse design aesthetic thrives on the use of natural materials. Since farmhouse kitchens are designed to mimic the atmosphere of an old rustic farmhouse, the use of reclaimed and hand-crafted wood completes this look. The French countryside design aesthetic also enjoys using natural material because it evokes images of the simple, relaxed rural Provence.
- Warm, subtle colors: Both farmhouse and French countryside kitchens employ neutral shades with subtle accent colors. Farmhouse and French country illustrate a simple, natural look. Each of these interior design themes features neutral and earthy tones.
- Combination of vintage and modern: The modern farmhouse design demonstrates the evolution of the traditional country farmhouse while providing a functional kitchen for today's home. The French countryside design highlights the beauty of rural France while boasting of France's achievements as a country.
What Does a French Country Kitchen Look Like?
For French country kitchen decor ideas, here are some tips to spark your imagination. These elements are in almost every French kitchen design.
- Intersperse floral patterns throughout your luxury kitchen: Floral patterns complement the simple yet elegant aesthetic of your luxury French cottage kitchen decor. French country kitchen patterns feature a combination of soft primary colors with green, lavender and orange.
- Use French country motifs: Since the goal for a French country kitchen design is simplicity, keep motifs to a minimum. Roosters, olives, sunflowers and fresh flowers are common motifs in a French country kitchen.
- Choose natural weathered material: Whatever material you use, whether wood or stone, should be natural with a weathered appearance. You can use handcrafted or reclaimed wood for your cabinets, floors or countertops. To complement your stainless-steel appliances, you could also use rusted metal to adorn your kitchen.
- Create a relaxed, comfortable aesthetic: Think of the warm comfort you feel when you sit in front of a fireplace. Your French country kitchen decor should invite you and your guests to sit at the table and enjoy a hearty meal. Use vintage-style stoves, stone or brick walls and wood cabinets to design a cozy kitchen.
At L'Atelier Paris, we offer metal and wood kitchens for you to create the perfect French country kitchen. Our luxury modern steel kitchens are flexible according to your color and design theme. For the perfect marriage of vintage and contemporary appearance, you can have the simple elegance of a French country kitchen with the robustness of stainless steel.
Our collection of custom luxury wood kitchens offers you everything you are looking for in a French countryside kitchen. With several design options for your choosing, you can create a warm and inviting atmosphere with wood cabinetry and kitchen furniture. Let your wooden kitchen inspire you to commence your next kitchen cuisine project.
If you are looking for French country kitchen decor ideas, peruse our assortment of kitchen projects. Our Taste of Provence project in Hudson Valley, New York, demonstrates our ability to craft your ideal French countryside kitchen. While this type of kitchen is a perfect example of the traditional French country aesthetic, you can use this project to develop an idea for how you want to add your creative flair to your French countryside kitchen design.
Are You Ready to Design Your Vintage French Country Kitchen?
Our intelligent craft artisans at L'Atelier Paris are waiting to make your French chic kitchen ideas come to life. We specialize in luxury kitchens for culinary experts and sophisticated homeowners alike, including appliances, cabinetry, kitchen furniture and hardware. If you are ready to upgrade your luxury kitchen, consider choosing the French country kitchen design to inspire you. Fill out a contact form on our website to schedule an initial consultation with our professional design team.